After quitting my job, I decided to take up cake decorating (and blogging). I made a pact to myself that 2009 was going to be a good year and I was going to do everything and anything that made me happy. Come along for the ride!

Friday, April 3, 2009

Simple Yet....CUTE???

"Competitors, you have 6 hours...your time starts now!"

*freaks out* Oh my goodness...it was such a high stress level day!

One would think that 6 hours was a long time...but not when you still have lots of painting, arranging, and creating to still do on your cake.

I'm very proud of my class.
Everyone did an exceptional job. After looking over the pics from class, I'm quite envious of my classmates and how much they were able to accomplish.



They had so many details, so many colors, so many GREAT ideas!! Instead of focusing on what I was doing, I couldn't help but look around and see what everyone else was doing.


















And here is mine....



Not to shabby for a first timer with fondant, eh? A lot of peole did flower themed cakes...I definitely wanted to do something different. I feel like I always do flowers.

Now let's see what Colette thinks of it...


YAY! She's happy! She said "it's a cute cake".

Hmm...actually "survey says...." CUTE! Yes, that seemed to be the going adjective for my cake today. I'm not quite sure how I feel about "cute"...but it's definitely better than ugly *laughs*

Next week begins Advanced Workshop with Colette Peters. I'm trying to brain storm ideas starting NOW! I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people are going to attempt topsy turvy cakes (aka crooked cakes), seeing as that's what Colette is known for, but I'm not quite sure if that's the direction I want to go with.


That's me...I have to always be unique...always have to do what no one else is doing!

But what have I learned from this experience?

  • Focus on your own work

  • Take a chance....be brave...don't be scared to go beyond the basics

  • There's no such thing as "too much"

  • No more cute cakes for me....I want "WOW"!!!